Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Chicken Haleem

Recently, I started receiving some encouragement messages from friends, colleagues and family on this new blog post series. People started sharing their feedback, opinions about the blog. I thank you for that. 

Among all the emails/messages that I received, one of them reminded me about my trip to USA back in 2008. I must admit, at that time, I did not even know how to cook rice in a rice cooker!! :-). I remember how my ex-colleague and a dear friend Stephen Fuqua (here is his blog) showed me how to cook rice for the first time :-). I can not even explain how happy I was seeing those perfectly cooked rice!


Even, in today's recipe I will use rice :-). I would like to dedicate t
his recipe to Stephen to show him how far I have come since then :-). I wish he could taste it as well :-).

Also, just in case you are wondering what does Haleem means? It means soft in English. So today we are going to cook Chicken Soft :-).



Ingredients:

  • 400 gm boneless chicken.
  • Few pulses of your choice i.e. Red lentils, Bengal gram split (Channa Dal).
  • 500 gm curd.
  • 3 finely chopped onions. 
  • 3 finely chopped tomatoes.
  • Basmati Rice, half a cup or less.
  • Oatmeal, half a cup or less.
  • 2 Bay leaves.
  • 6 Cloves.
  • 2 tbs turmeric powder.
  • 2 tbs red chili powder.
  • 2 tbs coriander powder.
  • 2 tbs cumin powder.
  • Cumin seeds.
  • 5-6 green chilies finely chopped.
  • 2 Cinnamon.
  • 6 tps butter or Desi Ghee.
  • 3 tbs Ginger and Garlic paste.
  • Garam masala.
  • Cashews.
  • Lemon Juice.
  • Rose petals (optional)
  • Salt to taste.


Cooking Process:


Chicken, Pulses, Oatmeal, Rice Mix

  • Heat up the pressure cooker.
  • Add 2 tps refined/ olive oil/ desi ghee.
  • Add bay leaves, Add cloves.
  • Add raw chicken into it. Stir well.
  • Add 1 tbs red chili, 1 tbs turmeric powder.
  • Cook it for 5 minutes.
  • Add raw pulses and oatmeal. Mix well.
  • Add enough water to cover them.
  • Close the pressure cooker and cook it for 30 minutes on low heat.
  • We need to over cook, so that every thing gets mashed up with each other.
  • While it cooks, lets prepare the tempering.


Onion, Tomato, Curd Mix

  • Heat up a pan.
  • Add 4 tps refined/ olive oil/ desi ghee.
  • Add cumin seeds, let them crackle.
  • Add chopped onions. Cook till they turn brown.
  • Add ginger and garlic paste.
  • Add salt to taste, red chili, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder.
  • Add green chilies and tomatoes paste. Mix well.
  • Cook it for another 10 minutes.
  • Add cashews.
  • Add curd. 
  • Add lemon juice.
  • Add garam masala. Mix them well.


The real Mix

  • By this time, the tempering is ready. And so is chicken mix.
  • Empty the pressure cooker contents into the tempering slowly and gradually.
  • Keep mixing them well.
  • Add some butter.
  • Keep mashing them and keep mixing them till desired consistency.
  • And that's it!


Let's plate up:



Chicken Haleem
Chicken Haleem - 2nd Attempt



Chicken Haleem - 1st Attempt





















This dish can also be made up with mutton. However I have only tried with Chicken yet. And it tastes really awesome. Hey I am no expert, but I hope you will like it :-).

As always your comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment