Among all the emails/messages that I received, one of them reminded me about my trip to USA back in 2008. I must admit, at that time, I did not even know how to cook rice in a rice cooker!! :-). I remember how my ex-colleague and a dear friend Stephen Fuqua (here is his blog) showed me how to cook rice for the first time :-). I can not even explain how happy I was seeing those perfectly cooked rice!
Even, in today's recipe I will use rice :-). I would like to dedicate this recipe to Stephen to show him how far I have come since then :-). I wish he could taste it as well :-).
Also, just in case you are wondering what does Haleem means? It means soft in English. So today we are going to cook Chicken Soft :-).
- 400 gm boneless chicken.
- Few pulses of your choice i.e. Red lentils, Bengal gram split (Channa Dal).
- 500 gm curd.
- 3 finely chopped onions.
- 3 finely chopped tomatoes.
- Basmati Rice, half a cup or less.
- Oatmeal, half a cup or less.
- 2 Bay leaves.
- 6 Cloves.
- 2 tbs turmeric powder.
- 2 tbs red chili powder.
- 2 tbs coriander powder.
- 2 tbs cumin powder.
- Cumin seeds.
- 5-6 green chilies finely chopped.
- 2 Cinnamon.
- 6 tps butter or Desi Ghee.
- 3 tbs Ginger and Garlic paste.
- Garam masala.
- Lemon Juice.
- Rose petals (optional)
- Salt to taste.
Chicken, Pulses, Oatmeal, Rice Mix
- Heat up the pressure cooker.
- Add 2 tps refined/ olive oil/ desi ghee.
- Add bay leaves, Add cloves.
- Add raw chicken into it. Stir well.
- Add 1 tbs red chili, 1 tbs turmeric powder.
- Cook it for 5 minutes.
- Add raw pulses and oatmeal. Mix well.
- Add enough water to cover them.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook it for 30 minutes on low heat.
- We need to over cook, so that every thing gets mashed up with each other.
- While it cooks, lets prepare the tempering.
Onion, Tomato, Curd Mix
- Heat up a pan.
- Add 4 tps refined/ olive oil/ desi ghee.
- Add cumin seeds, let them crackle.
- Add chopped onions. Cook till they turn brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste.
- Add salt to taste, red chili, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder.
- Add green chilies and tomatoes paste. Mix well.
- Cook it for another 10 minutes.
- Add cashews.
- Add curd.
- Add lemon juice.
- Add garam masala. Mix them well.
The real Mix
- By this time, the tempering is ready. And so is chicken mix.
- Empty the pressure cooker contents into the tempering slowly and gradually.
- Keep mixing them well.
- Add some butter.
- Keep mashing them and keep mixing them till desired consistency.
- And that's it!
Let's plate up:
|Chicken Haleem - 2nd Attempt|
|Chicken Haleem - 1st Attempt|
This dish can also be made up with mutton. However I have only tried with Chicken yet. And it tastes really awesome. Hey I am no expert, but I hope you will like it :-).
As always your comments are welcome.